Andrea is a writer and artist with over 30 years experience creating artwork and writing articles and books related to self-expression.
My latest form of expression is making birds: three-dimensional, one-of-a-kind paper mache sculpture and collage which I turn into cards and marble tiles for display, decoration or coasters. Many of the paper mache sculptures incorporate collage.
Why birds? They are right there outside my window. Hopping around. Burrowing in bushes. They look at me when I look at them. They look away, then back.
One regularly perches on the branch of my River Birch near one window grabbing glances at me. At some point he decides enough is enough with this glancing back and forth stuff and bolts.
The birds have been there outside my window inspiring me through the six books and thousands of articles I’ve written. Now it feels time to honor them for their inspiration.
But know this: based on my observations and leafing through Audubon magazine, no other birds like the ones I make exist. Any likeness is purely accidental.
Your purchase of my artwork goes to a good cause–Flutterby. Flutterby is a visual art and story-telling program reminding you that every moment matters. Learn more.
Here’s more about Juried Art Shows and Exhibitions I’ve been in, awards and education.
Juried Art Shows, Exhibitions & Awards
- Ohio State Fair Fine Arts Juried Competition and Expo, July, 2019
- Art at the Mill Exhibition, Historic Bear’s Mill, June, 2019
- Clifton Cultural Arts Center’s Annual Golden Ticket Juried Exhibition, November 2018
- Channeling Picasso Exhibit, Caza Sykes Gallery, October 2018
- Carnegie Visual Arts and Performing Arts Center—Flutterby artwork and dramatic presentation for juried art show, “A Global Affair”, October 22-November 23, 2010
- Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cincinnati Annual Benefit–Flutterby art exhibit, 2013
- Collaborating artist for Visionaries & Voices Art Auction Gala
- American Society on Aging Conference, San Diego, California–Flutterby artwork and story-telling performance, March, 2014
- International Conference of Thanatology Association, Atlanta, Georgia–Flutterby artwork and dramatic presentation, March, 2012
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Conference, Orlando, Florida–Flutterby artwork and dramatic presentation, November, 2012
- “The Power of Stories” Expo, Cincinnati, Ohio–Flutterby artwork and keynote performance, October, 2013
- New Riff Event Center, Kentucky–Flutterby artwork and dramatic presentation, October, 2014
- Ariodante Gallery, New Orleans—featured artist for paper mache and collage, 2015–Present
- C-Link Gallery, Cincinnati—juried exhibition, Natural Forms for paper mache, 2016
- Wyoming Juried Art Show–ink and water colors
- Montgomery Juried Art Show–ink and water colors
- Hyde Park Juried Art Show–ink and water colors
- First Place Award for Drawing, University of Cincinnati Juried Art Show, 1985 (Charley Harper, judge)
- Second Place Award for Drawing, University of Cincinnati Juried Art Show, 1985 (Charley Harper, judge)
- Recognized by Ohioana Library Association for Literary and Artistic Achievement
- Women In Communications Gem Award
- Leading Woman Award
- Bachelor of Arts, Kent State University
- Art Academy of Cincinnati
- University of Cincinnati
- Private lessons in sculpture & clay, drawing, paper making, watercolor